Lagonda LG6 DHC, 1938 information

Photo overview  -  Photo reportage (history)  -  Lagonda history
Technical data  -  Sales information

After the famous marque of Bentley was taken over by Rolls Royce in the 1930'ies its founder W.O. Bentley applied as chief engineer at Lagonda. His first project was the Lagonda LG6. The LG6 was an evolution of the Lagonda LG45. Bentley improved the chassis and the six cylinder engine. In the late thirties of the twentieth century the LG6 was a very advanced and very luxurious automobile. Lagonda's stylist Frank Feeley designed the beautiful lines of the LG6. The LG6 featured technical innovations like two spark plugs per cylinder, double magneto's, dual circuit hydraulic braking system, central lubrication system and four built-in hydraulic cricks.
The Lagonda LG6 was built between 1937 and 1940. In total 83 LG6 cars left the factory, 67 with a short chassis and 18 with a long chassis. The LG6 was available in several body styles; Tourer, Saloon, Drop Head Coupe, Rapide Coupe, Saloon de Ville and Sedanca.
25 were Drop Head Coupe models. Only ten are still known to exist worldwide. The presented Lagonda LG6 with chassis number12341 is the only one ever imported to the Netherlands. The car was always registered in the Netherlands.

Short history of this Lagonda LG6

  • July 11, 1938: the order to build this car is given. The car was especially prepared for the 1938 Scottish Show. Colour very dark red (almost black) with a beige leather interior and beige hood.

  • December 1938: the car was imported to the Netherlands by agent Hart Nibbrig & Greeve N.V. in The Hague.

  • February 1939: the car is delivered to it's owner, architect J. van Erven Dorens.

  • May 1939: the owner lends the car to Hart Nibbrig & Greeve N.V. for their presentation on the car show in Amsterdam (Apollo Hall).

  • World war two 1940-1945: the car was hidden to keep it out of hands of the occupying forces. The wheels were buried in the garden of the owner.

  • In 1945 the car is being impounded by the Dutch Authorities, just after the wheels were fitted again. They said something was wrong with the car documents.

  • September 1, 1945: the Lagonda LG6 is used as the leading car in Field Marshall Montgomery's Victory parade. This parade drove from the Royal Palace, at Soestdijk, to the Amstel Hotel in Amsterdam and back. Guest of honour was Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands.

  • 1946: a Dutchman from the Dutch Indies who ordered a similar LG6 DHC from the factory in 1939 claimed the car as being his property; he convinced the Authorities and took the car -after an extensive service at the factory in England- with him to the Dutch Indies.

  • 1950: the car is shipped back to the Netherlands to compete in the Rallye de Monte Carlo. In the port of Rotterdam the car falls from the hoist and the rear side is severely damaged.

  • 1950: the well known couch builder Pennock in The Hague repaired the damage and per the owners order equipped the car with a larger boot.

  • 1959: the car was pictured in quite a sorry condition in Amsterdam.

  • 1995-2001: restoration by  Amicale Facel Holland.

Technical data

6 cylinder in-line engine
2 S.U. carburettors
double magneto's and two spark plugs per cylinder
cylinder capacity: 4467 cc.
capacity: 140 bhp. at 3800 rpm.
top-speed: 150 km/h. - 94 mph.
acceleration 0-100 km/h.: 16 sec.
gearbox: 4-speed, manual. Synchro at gears 2, 3 and 4
suspension: independent front suspension with adjustable
torsion bars
brakes: 16 inch Girling drums all round, hydraulic dual circuit brake system (!)
weight: approx. 1950 kg.

Sales information

Lagonda LG6 Drop Head Coupe (DHC), year 1938. Colour very dark red (almost black), beige leather seats, wool beige carpet and hood.  This 1938 Lagonda LG6 DHC is a perfect example of the restoration skills of Amicale Facel Holland. This automobile was fully and "body off" restored to perfection from the year 1995 until 2001. Many original parts had to be found and others had to be especially manufactured. The Lagonda was restored to its original 1938 specifications, however the coach built boot by coachbuilder Pennock has been maintained explicitly in view of the specific history of the car. This rare and very special Lagonda has a magnificent Dutch history. Including a television documentary which was broadcasted in the year 2004. Since the restoration the car has been carefully driven only about 3500 miles. 

Price: on request, please contact us.

info@amicalefacel.nl 
Amicale Facel Holland
Telephone international: +31 70 324 80 84
Fax: +31 70 324 80 89


2012, V3D/ ClassicarImages. All rights reserved.